State of govt hospitals

The gap between patients’ load and facilities available at major public hospitals in Islamabad and its vicinity has been widening over the years

These hospitals are Benazir Bhutto General Hospital, Holy Family Hospital and District Headquarters Hospital Rawalpindi

These infirmaries are continuously facing budget constraints

As a result, this is impeding the hiring of medics and paramedics to meet the needs of the growing number of patients

However, even for the ongoing financial year, the government has not increased the budgetary allocations for these health facilities

These infirmaries are facing multiple issues like shortage of doctors, nurses, other supporting staff, lack of medicines, long-deferred surgeries, and lack of beds

While the number of patients visiting the OPDs and those admitted there has been increasing, there has been no proportionate increase in the number of medics and paramedics

The imbalance caused by the lack of new recruitments has overburdened doctors and nurses

Facilities at these hospitals are overstretched due to the rising load of patients

Around 30,000 patients report daily at the emergency departments and over 6,000 visit the OPDs of these hospitals daily

Patients from other provinces too visit these health facilities

The hospitals’ yearly budget is Rs6 billion of which 60% goes to salaries, leaving a mere 40% for those needing medical care

This situation well gives an idea of the inadequacy of medical care

This is obviously compelling patients to go to private health facilities

The expensive treatment available at private hospitals is beyond the reach of people with limited means

Doctors serving at the three hospitals say that the twin cities need another major hospital to adequately deal with the growing number of patients

Recently the PM had announced that district hospitals would be shut down as patients don’t visit them

Reasons are clear enough

Conditions at the three hospitals show why patients are turning away from there

If things improve at government hospitals, there is no reason why they should remain deserted

Published in The Express Tribune, January 5th, 2022

Like Opinion & Editorial on Facebook, follow @ETOpEd on Twitter to receive all updates on all our daily pieces

Date:06-Jan-2022 Reference:View Original Link