HERAT, AFGHANISTAN: Taliban militants attacked foreign tourists escorted by an Afghan army convoy in the western province of Herat on Thursday, officials said, with a military spokesperson saying at least six people were wounded.
The Taliban have officially not claimed responsibility so far for the attack and the nationality of the tourists was not immediately known.
“The convoy was ambushed by the Taliban in Chesht-e-Sharif district. The tourists were on their way to Herat from Bamiyan and Ghor provinces,” said Jilani Farhad, the spokesperson for Herat’s governor.
Military spokesperson Najibullah Najibi said the ambush left at least five foreign tourists and their Afghan driver wounded, adding that they were being escorted to Herat city.
The attack comes as Taliban militants intensify their annual summer offensive after a brief lull during the holy fasting month of Ramazan, which ended in early July.
Highways in Afghanistan passing through insurgency-prone areas have become exceedingly dangerous, with the Taliban and other armed groups frequently kidnapping or killing travellers.