At least four people were injured in a blast near a private hospital in Zarghon Road in Quetta on Thursday, Express News reported.
Several are feared injured in second such blast in three days in the city.
On Monday, at least 70 people, nearly half of them lawyers, were killed and more than a hundred wounded in a suicide attack targeting mourners gathered at a state-run hospital. The Balochistan government announced three days of official mourning for the victims of the terrorist attack, one of the deadliest in the country’s history.
The bomber struck as a crowd of lawyers and journalists crammed into the Emergency Department of the Provincial Sandeman Hospital, known as Civil Hospital, after the fatal shooting of president of the Balochistan Bar Association (BBA) Bilal Anwar Kasi earlier in the morning.
Director General Health Dr Masood Nausherwani confirmed at least 70 people have been killed and 112 injured as the body count spiked from earlier estimates. “There are many wounded, so the death toll could rise,” said Rehmat Saleh Baloch, the provincial health minister, voicing his worst fears. An additional district and sessions judge, Muhammad Ali, and a former president of BBA, Baz Muhammed Kakar, were among the dead.
The bombing whipped up fear and panic among residents of Quetta as major shopping districts of the city had been closed soon after the blast.
Police confirmed it was a suicide blast. “The bomber was carrying around eight kilos of explosives packed with ball bearings and shrapnel to inflict maximum casualties,” an official of the Bomb Disposal Squad told The Express Tribune requesting not to be named. The severed legs of the bomber have been recovered and sent for forensic analysis.
The bombing was so intense and loud that it had been heard within a radius of five kilometres. The windows of several shops in the neighbourhood were shattered by the thud.
This is a developing story and will be updated accordingly.
Original news : http://tribune.com.pk/story/1160062/loud-explosion-heard-quetta/