KABUL: Four gunmen attacked Kabul’s Intercontinental Hotel on Saturday and started shooting at guests, an Afghan official said, in the latest violence to strike the Afghan capital.
“Four attackers are inside the building,” an official at the Afghan spy agency said.
They are “shooting at guests”, he said.
The fourth floor of the hotel is on fire, the official from the National Directorate of Security added.
Occupants inside the hotel are hiding on the second floor, a security source said.
A guest hiding in his room in the hotel said he could hear gunfire.
“I don’t know if the attackers are inside the hotel but I can hear gunfire from somewhere near the first floor,” he said without giving his name.
“We are hiding in our rooms. I beg the security forces to rescue us as soon as possible before they reach and kill us.”
The Intercontinental was last targeted in June 2011 when a suicide attack killed 21 people, including 10 civilians.
The hotel had earlier come under attack by gunmen on June 28, 2011.
At least 10 people had been reported dead at after up to four gunmen and four suicide bombers had forced their way into the hotel. The Taliban had claimed responsibility for the attack.
Afghanistan opposes fencing project because it historically disputed the colonial-era divide
Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack
Authorities believe the blast was triggered by explosives attached to a motorcycle
Officials did not disclose which branch of the military the troops were from, and no information was available yet