HYDERABAD: Information Minister Syed Nasir Hussain Shah has refuted allegations that the Sindh government was protecting SSP Rao Anwar from arrest and that it even allowed him to leave the country.
Shah was speaking to the media on Thursday after attending a seminar on labour laws in Hyderabad. “If Rao Anwar had taken refuge at Bilawal House, [political] opponents wouldn’t have sat silently,” he said.
According to the information minister, a perception was being created that SSP Anwar was a blue-eyed officer of the Sindh government, which was trying to protect him. “If this was true, the government wouldn’t have formed a committee comprising the most stringent and reputable police officers for the inquiry,” he said.
SSP Anwar had reportedly tried to board a flight from Islamabad to Dubai a few days ago. However, he was prevented from doing so by officials of the Federal Investigation Agency. Following the reported incident, the police officer’s name was put on the Exit Control List on the order of the Supreme Court.
Commenting on the alleged murder of Naqeebullah Mehsud by SSP Anwar in a staged encounter, the information minister said the Pakistan Peoples Party stood for the human rights and the provincial government never sanctioned extrajudicial killings. Shah added that on recommendation of AIG Sanaullah Abbasi-led committee, SSP Anwar had been removed from District Malir along with three ASIs and 11 SHOs while an FIR had also been registered.
Shah also stated that the chief secretary’s letter allowing Anwar to travel abroad was fake and an inquiry in the matter was also under way. “The life of every innocent person is invaluable. Extrajudicial killing cannot be allowed,” the minister reiterated.
DIG Khawaja says Rao Anwar refuses to cooperate with authorities
Police team likely to be sent to Islamabad to arrest former Malir SSP
Malir SSP will explain the efforts made in the recovery of a man who went missing on July 31
More in Sindh