UAE announces pause in offensive on Yemen's Hodeida


ABU DHABHI: The United Arab Emirates on Sunday announced a pause in the offensive it is backing against Houthi militants in Yemen’s port city of Hodeidah, to give a chance to UN peace efforts.

“We welcome continuing efforts by UN Special Envoy, Martin Griffiths, to achieve an unconditional Houthi withdrawal from Hodeidah city and port,” UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash said on Twitter.

We welcome continuing efforts by UN Special Envoy, Martin Griffiths, to achieve an unconditional Houthi withdrawal from Hodeida city and port. We have paused our campaign to allow enough time for this option to be fully explored. We hope he will succeed.

— د. أنور قرقاش (@AnwarGargash) July 1, 2018

“We have paused our campaign to allow enough time for this option to be fully explored. We hope he will succeed.”

UAE envoy defends targeting of Yemen’s Hodeida port

The announcement comes after Griffiths met with President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi, whose troops are battling the Houthi militants for control of the Red Sea port city, earlier this week.

Hadi demanded a full militant withdrawal from the city, which has been the target of a weeks-long military offensive by the Yemeni government and its regional allies, led by the UAE on the ground.

Diplomatic sources have said Griffiths has been pushing for the Iran-backed Houthis to cede control of the port to the United Nations and there have been some reports they have agreed.

The Houthis have controlled the western city of Hodeidah, and its port, since 2014, when they drove the Hadi government out of the capital and seized large swathes of northern Yemen.

On June 13, the UAE and its allies, including Saudi Arabia, launched a massive military operation–dubbed “Golden Victory”–to drive the militants out of the Hodeidah port.

UAE demands ‘unconditional’ rebel withdrawal from Yemen port

Some 70% of imports to Yemen, where eight million people face imminent famine, flow through the port of Hodeidah.

Nearly 10,000 people have died in the Yemen war since 2015, when Saudi Arabia and its allies joined the government’s fight against the Houthis.

The United Nations has called Yemen the world’s largest humanitarian crisis.

Forces backed by a Saudi-led coalition are closing in on Yemen's Houthi-held port city Hodeidah

  • US warns United Arab Emirates against assault on Yemeni port Hodeidah

    UN officials warn against an assault on Hodeidah

  • Saudi-led coalition conducts air strikes on Yemen's Hodeidah airport

    The United Nations says the assault on Hodeidah could trigger a famine imperiling millions of lives

    More in World


    Original news : https://tribune.com.pk/story/1747245/3-uae-announces-pause-offensive-yemens-hodeida/