Suspended police official Rao Anwar was granted bail on Friday by an anti-terrorism court in a case pertaining to the use of illegal arms and explosives in the fake encounter which killed Waziristan native Naqeebullah.
The accused’s counsel submitted a surety bond of Rs1 million. After formalities are completed, Anwar is expected to be free by today evening.
Earlier, the court reserved verdict on the bail application submitted by the five accomplices of former Malir SSP Rao Anwar in the Naqeebullah murder case.
Anwar’s lawyer Advocate Amir Mansoob had observed that the investigation officers registered the case without consulting the administrative judge.
Advocate Mansoob had also argued that his client was framed on the basis of ill-intentions. The case was B-classed but the court never gave a verdict on it, said Advocate Mansoob, maintaining that when there was no court order terming the case as B-class, on what basis had the investigation officer registered the case.
He further questioned how this other case could be registered when the court had already said no evidence is available to ascertain Anwar’s presence at the crime scene.
After listening to the arguments, the court had reserved its verdict on the bail plea of Anwar, DSP Ahmed and four others. The accused include DSP Ahmed, Assistant Sub-inspector Supurd Hussain, Head Constable Khizer Hayat and Sub-inspector Muhammad Yaseen.
ATC reserves verdict on Anwar's bail application
Court further summons director FIA on next hearing
Notorious criminal Nadir Sukhani killed during shootout