Myanmar says holding court martial after Rohingya grave probe


YANGON: Myanmar said its military was conducting a rare court-martial following a probe into mass graves in crisis-hit Rakhine state, two years after a bloody crackdown drove some 740,000 Rohingya into Bangladesh.

In February 2018, an Associated Press report alleged at least five mass graves of Rohingya in Rakhine’s Gu Dar Pyin village – a claim denied by the government, which said the bodies were those of “terrorists”.

But the military’s official website said on Saturday that an investigation had found “weakness in following instructions” in Gu Dar Pyin and that a court-martial would “proceed in accordance with the procedures of Military Justice.”

No additional details were provided.

‘We are hostages’: Two years on, Rohingya still in Myanmar trapped by new war

The report described grisly violence at the hands of soldiers and Buddhist vigilantes, who allegedly attacked villagers with guns, knives, rocket launchers and grenades before dumping bodies into pits and dousing them with acid.

Estimates from survivors in Bangladesh put the death toll in the hundreds, the report said.

Security forces claimed they were under attack by some 500 villagers, and that they had acted “in self-defence”, according to state-run media last year.

United Nations investigators want Myanmar generals prosecuted for genocide for overseeing the brutal crackdown in Rakhine state.

The army staunchly denies the allegation, calling the 2017 operation a proportionate response to deadly militant attacks on police posts.

Bangladesh ready to repatriate 3,500 Rohingya refugees to Myanmar

Rights groups say the military has done little to hold anyone accountable for atrocities.

It previously admitted that members of the security forces had helped kill 10 Rohingya in a different Rakhine village in September 2017.

Four officers and three soldiers were sentenced to 10 years in prison with hard labour, but a prison official said in May that they were “no longer in detention”.

The soldiers spent less time behind bars than two Reuters journalists who exposed the massacre and were convicted for violating state secrets.

They were released earlier this year in a pardon after more than 500 days in jail.

Young Rohingya, especially girls, increasingly pursue education in recent years, even from poor families

  • a-general-view-of-the-kutupalong-refugee-campBangladesh ready to repatriate 3,500 Rohingya refugees to Myanmar

    Some 740,000 Rohingya fled to Bangladesh in August 2017 from a military offensive in Myanmar

  • rohingya-refugees-walk-on-the-muddy-path-after-crossing-the-bangladesh-myanmar-border-in-teknaf-2-2-2-2-3-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2No Rohingya turn up for repatriation to Myanmar

    Rohingya refugees said they did not want to return unless their safety was ensured and they were granted citizenship

  • rohingya-main-picture200,000 Rohingya rally to mark 'Genocide Day' in Bangladesh camps

    740,000 Rohingya from Myanmar's Rakhine state escaped in August 2017 during the brutal offensive


    Original news : https://tribune.com.pk/story/2046968/3-myanmar-says-holding-court-martial-rohingya-grave-probe/