Taliban car bomb blast kills four Afghan special forces in Kabul


KABUL: A suicide bomber targeted an Afghan Special Forces base in Kabul on Thursday, killing at least four commandos, officials said, as violence continued to escalate following the collapse of peace talks between the United States (US) and Taliban insurgents.

The bomber blew up an explosives-laden minibus at the entrance to the camp in Chahar Asyab district, killing the four special forces members and wounding another three, the Defence Ministry said in a statement.

Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid issued a statement claiming responsibility for the attack, which he said killed more than 200 commandos. The insurgents routinely issue exaggerated casualty claims.

Trump says Taliban talks ‘dead,’ US military to ramp up Afghanistan operations

Mujahid said the bomber had been infiltrated into the base well before the attack.

The latest attack underscored expectations of an escalation in violence following US President Donald Trump’s sudden cancellation of the talks with the Taliban aimed at withdrawing US troops and ending 18 years of war in Afghanistan.

Last week, a Taliban suicide blast killed at least 10 civilians and two NATO service members near the US embassy in Kabul.

Negotiations over how to end the 18-year war in Afghanistan have been held in Qatar’s capital since late last year

  • download-4-96-2-2-3-3-2-2-2-2-2US, Taliban due to resume peace push at Doha talks

    US wants to withdraw thousands of troops in return for the group renouncing al Qaeda and curbing attacks

  • dr-muhammad-faisal-7-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2Pakistan urges US, Afghan Taliban to resume talks to find 'negotiated peace'

    There is no military solution to conflict in Afghanistan, says FO

    More in World


    Original news : https://tribune.com.pk/story/2054924/3-taliban-car-bomb-blast-kills-four-afghan-special-forces-kabul/